Triangle Parade of Homes Trends 2016:
How important are mud rooms to new home buyers?
The Chatham County Parade of Homes can be a great trend indicator of the demand for mud rooms and drop zone storage systems, which are often found in mud and laundry rooms. We've analyzed the 2016 Tour data, and here's what we found:
What's Going on with New Homes in Chatham, North Carolina? Locations of Drop Zones
Built in Drop Zones were one of the most popular new home features selected by home builders for entries available for viewing during the Triangle Parade of Homes in Chatham County.
87% of Parade of Homes Entries in Chatham County included a Drop Zone
- 87% or a whopping 26 of the 30 homes included a drop zone.
- "Drop Zones", or an area with a bench, cubbies, coat hooks, or other built-in organization, have become a top-requested feature in new homes.
- Coats, shoes, hats, backpacks, and more can easily be organized in a Drop Zone, reducing clutter in other areas of the home.
Locations of Drop Zones
1. Hallway or Dedicated Mudroom - 73% of Parade of Homes Entries in Chatham County
- 22 homes, or 73% of all homes on parade in Chatham, have a drop zone in a hallway or a dedicated mudroom, near the garage entrance.
2. Inside the Laundry - 13% of Parade of Homes Entries in Chatham County
- 4 homes, or 13% of all homes on parade in Chatham, have a drop zone inside the Laundry Room
3. No Drop Zone - 13% of Parade of Homes Entries in Chatham County
- 4 homes do not have a drop zone.
- Older homebuyers, or those without school age children, are somewhat less likely to look to a drop zone as a highly desired feature.
- A coat hook area can also serve some of the same purpose as a drop zone, without needing extra space.
What does this mean for homebuyers in Chatham County?
Parade of Homes entries generally represent what builders believe homebuyers are looking for today. What types of built in storage are YOU looking for?
Check out hundreds of possibilities, including top-requested one story, main floor master, and two story plans, here:
These custom homes are move-in ready, or nearly available, in Chatham County. Click the address for new home cost and more information:
This is representative only of the homes featured in the Parade of Homes, and not intended to be a general indicator of the Chatham County new home market, though Parade of Homes can be representative of overall trends. These statistics were derived by Penny Hull from public information about Parade of Homes entries, and are copyright Stanton Homes. The statistics calculated above represent Parade of Homes entries in Chatham County in the Briar Chapel, Chapel Ridge, Chapel Ridge Estates, Dunhill, Fieldston, The Hamptons, Harrison Pond, Henderson Place at Fearrington, Horizon, Legacy at Jordan Lake, Parks at Meadowview, Piazza at Stonewater, Vistas at Chapel Ridge, Westfall, Westfall Pines, Windfall, and Woods at Wilkerson Creek new home communities.