How to Choose Betwen a One and Two Story Home
Raleigh New Home Styles
Your new home should fit your lifestyle perfectly. Love to entertain? Have small children? Need space for elderly or disabled guests to navigate easily? Already own a lot for building a home? These are all important questions to ask when choosing a floor plan.
See which type of home will best fit your needs - a one story or two story - below.
Why Build a One Story Home?
Here are just a few reasons why you should consider building a one story home in North Carolina:
- No stairs to climb every day.
- All bedrooms are already on the same floor - with easier accessibility.
- A longer and wider exterior is visually appealing to a lot of homebuyers - and it can help resale.
- Love open floor plan design? More rooms can open up in a one story home with vaulted ceilings.
Why Build a Two Story Home?
Here are just a few reasons why you should consider building a two story home in North Carolina:
- While you will need to go up and down stairs, a two story home can include an elevator for full accessibility. See a custom home with an elevator in this version of the Dugan.
- All bedrooms can still be placed on the same level - and are generally placed on the second floor of a two story home to free up living and entertaining space on the first floor.
This setup is ideal for wide-open entertaining spaces.
- A two story home can fit better on a small lot space. If you own or plan to buy a smaller lot, you may need to consider two story floor plan options.
- Two story homes can be more energy efficient when heat rises to warm the second story in the winter.
Why do I see so many two story homes in the Raleigh, NC area?
Two story homes can be more popular because they cost less per square foot! There is less roofline, framing, and foundation to pay for, in a given amount of square footage. Extending your home upwards will save you money.
Still undecided? Watch video tours of real homes we designed and built for real people – here are our most requested one story homes!
Compare some of our most requested two story floor plans.