2016 Triangle Parade of Homes Trends:
What's up with the formal dining room in new homes? The Triangle Parade of Homes can be a great indicator of floor plan trends, including what home buyers are asking for in their downstairs layout.
So what's the latest trend for formal dining rooms vs other uses for the same sq ft such as home offices? We've analyzed the data, and here's what we found:
What's New with Floor Plan Trends in Chatham County? The Dining, Living Room, Pocket Office, and Den
In Chatham County, Formal Dining Rooms are still going strong - they're featured in 7 of every 10 new homes in the Parade of Homes. Formal Living Rooms are tough to find, though, as they've been replaced with First Floor Offices. Here are the details:
1. Formal Dining Rooms - 70% of Parade of Homes Entries in Chatham County
70%, or 21 of the 30 Chatham County Parade of Homes entries, include a Formal Dining Room
What are the different ways to enter a formal dining room?
- Some dining rooms are wide open to foyer and great room.
- Some could be closed off with a pair of doors at the foyer and a single door at the kitchen.
- Some open only to the foyer, and could very easily double as a first floor office.
2. Formal Living Rooms - 7% of Parade of Homes Entries in Chatham County
- 7% or 2 of the 30 entries have a formal living room.
- The formal living room is often "replaced" with a first floor study or home office.
3. First Floor Dedicated Office - 37% of Parade of Homes Entries in Chatham County
- 37%, or 11 of the 30 entries, include a dedicated first floor home office.
- A dedicated office is a room that is labeled Study, Den or Office on the first floor.
- It is usually enclosed, often with a pair of doors if off the foyer, or a single door if elsewhere. In some plans, there are no doors, and this room would at one point have been labeled aformal living room or parlor
4. First Floor Pocket Office - 7% of Parade of Homes Entries in Chatham County
- 7%, or 2 of the 30 entries, include a pocket office.
- A pocket office is a small room that's just right for a private or semi-private work area that does not eat up a significant portion of the first floor.
- A pocket office may or may not have a window
- A pocket office can be tucked behind a staircase, next to a kitchen, etc. It's great for a dedicated area for work, laptop, bills, etc, but not as large as a "work from home" office. A dedicated office is a room that is labeled Study, Den or Office on the first floor.
What does this mean for homebuyers in Chatham County?
Parade of Homes entries generally represent what builders believe homebuyers are looking for in a modern floor plan. What kind of rooms are YOU looking for in a new home?
Check out hundreds of possibilities, including top-requested one story, main floor master, and two story plans, here:
These custom homes are move-in ready, or nearly available, in Chatham County. Click the address for new home cost and more information:
This is representative only of the homes featured in the Parade of Homes, and not intended to be a general indicator of the Chatham County new home market, though Parade of Homes can be representative of overall trends. These statistics were derived by Penny Hull from public information about Parade of Homes entries, and are copyright Stanton Homes. The statistics calculated above represent Parade of Homes entries in Chatham County in the Briar Chapel, Chapel Ridge, Chapel Ridge Estates, Dunhill, Fieldston, The Hamptons, Harrison Pond, Henderson Place at Fearrington, Horizon, Legacy at Jordan Lake, Parks at Meadowview, Piazza at Stonewater, Vistas at Chapel Ridge, Westfall, Westfall Pines, Windfall, and Woods at Wilkerson Creek new home communities.