What are the Best Cities to Raise a Family?
Forbes Ranks Raleigh the Number 5th Best Metro Area to Raise a Family in America
Raleigh, North Carolina has just been named the number 5 best city in America to raise a family by Forbes. How did Raleigh rank so well among tough competition? High median income and top school ratings were top factors.
Forbes ranked the 100 largest metro U.S. cities based on these seven criterion:
- Median Income
- Overall Cost of Living
- Housing Affordability (measured by % owning homes and % of homes affordable to a family making the local median income)
- Commuting Delays
- Owning Homes
- Crime Statistics
- Education (school quality determined by greatschools.org rankings)
This study did not mention the dozens of other reasons why families love to live in Raleigh: arts (performances, concerts, exhibitions), outdoor living (proximity to both beaches and mountains), museums (history, art, nature), diverse culture, culinary scene, and so much more.
Ranking data was provided by:
- Census Bureau
- National Association of Home Builders and Wells Fargo joint study
- FBI (via CQ Press –crime stats)
- Texas Transportation Institute (commuting delays)
- The Center for Regional Economic Competitiveness (Cost of Living Index)
Which other cities ranked in the top 5 best places to raise a family? Grand Rapids, Michigan; Boise, Idaho; Provo, Utah; and Youngstown, Ohio.
If you're thinking about moving to Raleigh, NC, or anywhere in the central North Carolina area, read more here:
Forbes Ranks the Best Metro Areas to Raise a Family in America: