Kitchen Cooktop Styles
Which Should You Buy, Gas or Electric?
Whether you are building a new home or upgrading your current kitchen, you may be debating the pros and cons of a gas cooktop versus an electric cooktop.
There are several factors that could impact your decision, including cost, convenience, and visual appeal.
Below are some of the advantages and disadvantages to gas and electric cooktops.
Benefits of Gas Cooktops:
1. Professional work area: Gas cooktops are used by professional chefs, for their instant heat, greater precision, flexibility, and ease of use.
2. Visual appeal: More gas cooktops use an overhead ventilation system that can be more visually appealing.
Drawbacks of Gas Cooktops:
1. Initial Costs: Depending on the size, style, and complexity of your cooktop, a gas range is could cost more up-front. Future energy savings may help even out the cost, depending on the home and location.
2. Need for a fuel supply and fuel line: You will need to maintain a supply of natural gas or propane, which can be stored in a tank on-site.
3. Strict regulations: You may not be able to add a new gas cooktop to your existing kitchen without major revisions. If you are building a new home, talk with your builder about specific restrictions that could apply.
Benefits of Electric Cooktops:
1. Initial cost: Electric cooktops generally cost less up-front than gas cooktops.
2. Convenience: Flat electric cooktops are easy to install and easy to clean. There is no need of an additional fuel source.
3. No open flame: To some, the open flame on a gas cooktop could be considered unsafe.
Drawbacks of Electric Cooktops:
1. Time: Electric cooktops take more time to heat up and cool down
2. Heat ranges: Electric cooktops generally have a shorter range of temperatures, and cannot get as hot as gas cooktops.
If you are building a new custom home in the Raleigh area, make sure to talk with your builder about kitchen design selections.
At Stanton Homes, our Andrea Enns is an on staff design expert, offering professional design selection services to custom home clients as part of Stanton Homes' exclusive custom home packages.
Ask Andrea your questions about custom home selections, designs, and styles. If you are having trouble deciding between a gas and electric cooktop, ask Andrea!
Read about other kitchen design trends here: