What exactly is a Jack and Jill bathroom?
Floor Plans with a Jack and Jill bath
A "Jack and Jill" bathroom has two entrances, usually accessible from two bedrooms.
Both bathroom doors usually lock on both sides of the door - to maintain privacy.
Benefits of a Jack and Jill bathroom setup:
- Private access to a bathroom without having to enter a hallway/public space
- Cost-saving alternative to a completely private bathroom attached to individual bedrooms
Drawbacks of a Jack and Jill bathroom setup:
- Having two doors with dual locks means you have to remember to lock and unlock BOTH doors each time you use the bathroom
- A Jack and Jill bath isn't always accessible from the hallway (just from the bedrooms) which can be a drawback for guests staying in another room, unless there's another full bath available.
Secondary Bathroom Set Up Ideas
Another convenient bathroom setup uses two rooms, separated by an interior door.
The exterior room contains the bathroom sink and storage (closet or shelving), and the interior room contains the toilet, tub, and/or shower.
The interior room may contain a second sink with vanity/storage, such as in the custom home pictured to the right.
(Also note the beautiful custom checker-board tile floor in this secondary bath.)
With this type of bathroom design, two people can use the same bathroom for separate functions at the same time - perfect for kids sharing a bathroom in the mornings before school!
House Plans with a Jack and Jill bath
Below are links to a few popular house plans with a Jack and Jill style bathroom.
- The Kelley: custom design/build by Stanton Homes, contains a Jack and Jill dual entrance to the first vanity room, and secondary interior door to the toilet/bath/shower.
- The Amazing Grace: Jack and Jill bathroom with one bedroom entrance and one loft entrance.
- The Dugan: custom drawn mother-in-law suite, fully accessible home. Second story Jack and Jill bathroom. (The Dugan Jack and Jill floor plan is pictured to the left).
- The Lowery: custom design/build floor plan with large, angled Jack and Jill bath.
Want to get ideas for a new home master bathroom as well?
Browse these master bathroom photo tours, and start planning your new home: