Raleigh Wrap Around Porch Cost and Design Ideas
Wrap around porches are one of the most sought after new home exteriors in today’s custom home design trends in North Carolina.
Wrap Around Porch Styles
There are many different types of wrap around porches.
Wrap-around porches can be two, three, or four sided to wrap partially or wholly around the house.
Wrap-around porches can also be broken into multiple sections by adding several access points from alcoves in the home.
How much does a wrap around porch cost when building a new home in Raleigh?
New custom home wrap around porch build cost is based on:
- Total square footage of porch space
- Type of porch surface (choices include concrete, wood, brick, slate, tile, and more)
- Type of railings
- Type of support pillars (Hand built Craftsman stone columns are the most expensive, basic 4x4 support post are least expensive, with a wide range of options between)
- Type of roof (standing seam metal, rounded, copper, dimensional shingles)
- Height from the ground
Expect your wrap around porch to start at around $10K or more, depending on these factors as well as requirements specific to your homesite. Your builder should be able to tell you the precise cost for the wrap around porch that you would like, on the floor plan you have chosen, at your location.
The Low Country Farmhouse is one of the most popular floor plans. It has an open layout, with well designed living space on the interior. But the most highly regarded feature is its expansive front porch, which can be wrapped around the side.
Here’s another version of the plan:
How to choose a wrap around porch style in Raleigh North Carolina
Before choosing your porch plan, take into consideration:
- The amount of space around your new home, which can determine how large the porch can be
- Does the architectural style you have chosen lend itself to a wrap around porch?
- Covered porches can be one of the most expensive elements in a custom home. How much do you want it to wrap?
- What type of flooring, hand railing, columns, balusters, or posts are appropriate, given the style of the home?
Some custom homes are centered on wrap around porches to the extent that there’s almost as room on the porch as there is inside the home, like the McCoy:
This wrap around porch floor plan was built in the middle of town, so that the home buyers could feel involved with everything happening around them, with a wide expanse of space for outdoor entertainment all day long.
Raleigh Wrap Around Porch Benefits
Home buyers seeking wrap around porches like outdoor living space because they like to:
- People watch
- Enjoy nature
- Have ample room delegated to rocking chairs or porch swings
- Elicit welcoming curb appeal
- Express the warmth of modern country farmhouse style
The Daniel is another wonderful example of a wrap around porch modern country farmhouse style:
This luxury custom home focuses on the wrap around porch as the focal point of the design.
Other Important Considerations for Raleigh Wrap Around Porches:
Talk with the builder about your lifestyle, and other elements you may want to have built in as your new home is constructed, including:
- Electrical outlets
- Overhead lighting and fans
- Door access into the home from multiple locations
- Pass through bars for food and other items
- Steps into the property from various locations
- Upper wrap around porches for the second level of the home
The Gershwin’s wrap around porch features custom designed rails that add some pop to the traditional columns:
Talk to your Raleigh home builder about what it will take to bring home your new wrap around porch.
New Home Trends from Raleigh Custom Home Builder Stanton Homes